Launching and maintaining social media profiles can be daunting and overwhelming, especially when you’re teeming with bright ideas.
How do you know where to start, which thoughts to post and which to keep to yourself, and how often to post.
We have created a small list of the steps we suggest you take early on in your social media efforts – or start now and pivot your strategy – in order to keep your profiles cohesive and consistent.
with a little help from our friends
- Choose a colour palette – Choosing a colour palette is essential, not just for your logo and corporate identity but also for your social media.There is nothing worse that landing on an Instagram feed that it is non-cohesive – it’s messy, it’s loud and it’s unclear what the company or brand stands for. Pick a colour palette that can easily carry through throughout all of your social media profiles, from using your brand colours as backgrounds to picking images that have details in the colours of your brand.
- Use your logo – Don’t be afraid your logo on everything. Brand your blog post graphics for sharing on Pinterest, watermark your Instagram posts, and on your Facebook and Twitter cover photos. It is also a good idea to use your logo as the profile picture on all of your profiles. Even if it isn’t your logo, choose one image and stick to it. Multiple images could be confusing to your audience.
- Create an images guide – With so many options available – stock library images, user-generated content or images you shot yourself – it is often difficult to know what will suit your feed and your brand’s image and what won’t. Our advice would be to develop a guide for selecting images very early on it your brands social media existence. These guidelines can include things like the background colours on your images, flatlays, the elements and props you like the most, and the type of content you want to share.
- Find your brand voice – We know, this can be tricky on… Should you be friendly and funny? Strictly professional? Share only about business, or share about your day in order to be approachable? This is where your overall strategy comes in handy. Think about the work you’ve done on your target audience, your objectives, your mission, your values and your brand persona. Stay true to those elements of your business and you’ll be golden!
- Use a planning app – These days, there are plenty of apps out there to help you plan your content in advance. Whether you’re using it to schedule, mock-up your calendar or plan your aesthetic in advance, we highly recommend using a solution like this. For planning Instagram aesthetics, we swear by Planoly, an app that allows you to pre-plan your feed, move images around, schedule posting in advance, and assigning hashtag groups compiled in advance and then stored.
To help you get started, you can download our free Cohesive Social Media Branding worksheet here, along with tons of other super helpful templates and workbooks!