We are here to tell you that it is time to STOP overlooking the power of great copy and start giving this little superhero the credit it deserves.
We see this often. On the long list of things business owners and brand builders work on to launch or relaunch a product, copy tends to fall near to the bottom of that long list. It usually follows after logo design, website development, sourcing imagery, establishing a social media presence.
We are here to tell you that it is time to STOP overlooking the power of great copy and start giving this little superhero the credit it deserves. When done well, good digital copy has the potential of doing your sales job for you!
Whether you are writing copy for your website, your email marketing, your social media posts or your Google campaign, there are 5 Golden Rules that every brand or business can follow.
- Make yourself relatable. Give your audience a glimpse (or a big reveal) into your story and that of your brand. Show them that you are human, that you struggle with the same things they do, that your journey has not been all that different from theirs. Start to build rapport right from the start.
- Empathise with their struggles. Let your audience know that they are not alone, that what their goals and their obstacles are not isolating, but rather something that you can share with them. Let them know you are on their journey with them, and that you can provide the answers and solutions to what they are looking for.
- Outline your solution. 9 times of our 10, when someone has landed on your website or social media profiles with purpose, it is because they have a need for what you’re selling. Tell them, in a conversational way, how you are going to solve the problems they have and how you are going to make their lives easier and better. Ensure you always come across as a value-add to people’s lives.
- Be yourself! Don’t try too hard – your audience will see straight through that. If you’re funny, be funny. If you’re matter-of-fact as a person, be matter-of-fact. I abhor those people out there who are telling you to be “neutral” or “vanilla” in the way you present yourself online. To be appealing to everyone. No, be yourself and the right people will come to you!
- Share stories. Don’t be afraid to do some “humble bragging”. Tell stories about the people you have helped in the past, how you helped them and how it changed their business for the better. Use language and story-telling to write a compelling case for your product or solution.
For more tips and tricks on how to showcase yourself, brand, or business online, visit our library of free resources and downloads. And as always, if you would like to set up a call with us to discuss your business, we’re here for you!